What is a flue liner? What does it do?

In a nutshell, the flue contains and helps exit the products of combustion, besides protecting the chimney walls from heat and corrosion. Most masonry chimneys have clay tile liners that can deteriorate over time. This deterioration can allow carbon monoxide and smoke to enter the home. Masonry chimneys sometimes have no liner at all. Unlined chimneys allow heat to transfer through brick quickly, which can cause adjacent structures to catch fire. NFPA 211 states all chimneys should have a liner. Prefabricated chimney systems are made of metal and stainless steel.

Scott's Chimney Service have CSIA certified sweeps that are trained to inspect chimneys for problems with a venting system. Examples would be: cracked or damaged tiles a flue too small, large, short or with bad offsets that can effect the performance of the system and may sometimes cause immense damage.

Stainless Steel Liners

The proper installation of a stainless steel liner can create a safer chimney within a masonry fireplace system that is deteriorated. The stainless steel liners we install have been tested, are listed by the Underwriters Laboratories, and come with a lifetime warranty.

Skilled professionals should install chimney liners as there are too many things, that if not done correctly, could cause the chimney to violate safety codes and create further hazards. Scott's Chimney Service technicians are well trained and experienced installers.

Gas Liners for Furnace & Water Heaters

Scott's Chimney Service technicians are experienced in installing liners for water heaters and furnaces. Gas furnace flues are designed to vent fumes and soot out of the home. Frequently water heaters and furnaces are vented into unlined chimneys or clay tile lined brick chimneys. These flues can be over-sized, contain offsets or have blockage from birds nests, squirrels and leaves. .

Improperly vented gas flues are a great potential safety risk of exposure to Carbon Monoxide. Exposure can cause flu like symptoms and can lead to permanent health damage or even death.

Every home should have carbon monoxide detectors installed relatively close to any fuel burning appliance. Symptoms of an over-sized flue is moisture or water staining coming from the flue where the appliance is vented.

You can reach us at (636) 274-1900 Email us: serviceinfo@scottschimney.com